The products listed here are independently selected by our writers. Sometimes we link to these articles to make it easier for our readers to find the right products. I may earn commissions (at no cost to you) for purchases made through our links.Learn more
I always thought all toilets were pretty much the same. Until I lived in Japan.
TheHigh tech toilets I found in Japanwas completely different than what I was used to. Not only are Japanese toilets more comfortable and cleaner, but they also offer many different features that will make your life a lot easier.
Let's take a look at some of the best Japanese toilets you can buy for your home. If you have the opportunity to use these restrooms, you will find that this is something you wish you had before.
Here are some of the best Japanese toilets that offer excellent value for money:
- Toto S350E Washlet
- Toto SW2034-01 Washlet
- Toshiba Warm Water Wash Toilettensitz
- Toto Neorest
What is special about Japanese toilets?
Japan hosted the Rugby World Cup in 2019 and is set to host the 2020 Olympics. This led the Japanese Times to speculate about the highest number of tourists visiting this Asian country in the past two years, with over 40 million people visiting Japan in 2019 alone.
But did you know that Japan started a luxury toilet revolution that has led to thousands of tourists flocking to Asia just to try these toiletries for themselves?
There are "standard" toilet features like heated seats (absolutely fantastic in winter) and a bidet, with some toilets having features like a dryer (yes, a tumble dryer after using the bidet), self-cleaning functions, etc. Motion-sensing seats that go up when you enter the bathroom.
There are models that are environmentally friendly and use only a fraction of the water that traditional toilets use.
When did this Japanese toilet revolution start?
According to TOTO, they have been developing more sustainable products in Japan since 1917 to enable residents to have a healthier culture and lifestyle. Sustainable development is central to TOTO's philosophy, which may be the reason why the company is becoming increasingly popular, especially in the western world. For this reason, TOTO has become the "go-to place" for those looking for the best Japanese toilet.
Advantages of Japanese toilets
Japanese toilets offer a number of advantages that make going to the toilet a much more pleasant experience. So good you won't stop talking about it.
Simply put, there are several of the best Japanese toilets:
- Hygienic: Most Japanese toilets have self-cleaning features to remove pathogens and bacteria from the toilet bowl.
- Stylish: These toilets are the sports cars among bathing establishments. You can change your attitude towards going to the toilet.
- Luxurious and Modern: These toilets scream luxury as they offer tons of features. You will imagine a toilet differently.
- Sustainable: The best Japanese toilets are more eco-friendly as they boast that you no longer have to buy toilet paper. Toilet paper is always the only item on the shopping list, and somehow you always miss it when you're at Walmart. These toilets will save you from having to buy toilet paper again!
- Comfortable: Many toilets have a function that allows you to adjust your seat to the position that is best for you. This gives you more options to make your experience even more enjoyable and allows you to change the settings for different preferences and even different ages.
In addition, you will become a pioneer of Japanese technology. Owning a Japanese toilet allows you to become a proponent of high-tech Japanese products, making you the talk of every dinner party as you become more technologically advanced.
How to install a Japanese toilet seat
If you ever want to install a Japanese toilet seat yourself, check out this short and handy guide that will walk you through every step:Install a Japanese toilet seat
How do you choose the best toilet for you?
With all the new technology, it can be very difficult to choose the best product for your needs and desires. There is a wide variety of products, which means it can be very difficult to figure out which Japanese toilet suits you best.
This guide will cover some of the best Japanese toilets you can get outside of Japan. We review the best features of each toilet, as well as the pros and cons of each toilet.
1. Toto S350E Washlet - The family-friendly toilet
The Toto S350E Washlet is highly acclaimed for its functionality yet simple style.
This toilet looks like it's from 2050 as it has a detachable remote control that gives it a more stylish look and also has a sensor that opens the toilet seat when you approach it. A smart toilet that is truly luxurious.
This toilet also has an "auto-cleaning" function, so the toilet seat cleans itself every time it is closed to prevent the build-up of pathogens and bacteria. This feature alone makes the purchase of this toilet worthwhile.
Toto is one of the best toilet brands in Japan.
You can be assured that the quality and performance of every Toto toilet is second to none.
This toilet also prevents children from getting any unwanted surprises in the bathroom when friends are over.
- Detachable remote control
- Warmed seat
- hot air dryer
- Auto clean function
- Tankless, which means the toilet never runs out of hot water
- It must be ensured that the remote control is charged
2. Toto SW2034-01 Washlet - most economical
The Toto SW2034-01 Washlet is a cheaper alternative to the Toto Neorest and still has all the features that make going to the toilet more comfortable.
A simpler alternative to the unsustainable option of endless amounts of toilet paper, this shower toilet makes for a more enjoyable bathroom experience, all from the comfort of your own home. What's also special about this toilet is that it's so easy to install that you can do it yourself.
Once you become familiar with the Japanese settings screens, you'll never look at toiletries in the same light again. The seat can be heated up in about 10 seconds to give the user an experience they will never forget!
- Seat heating (if desired)
- Water temperature control
- Oscillating spray options
- Control is via a user-friendly remote control attached to the sink
- Not the most attractive design
- The settings are displayed in Japanese
- A REFRESHING CLEANSING FOR EVERYONE - Gentle but powerful jet of water ensures effective cleaning; Adjustable hot water and pressure settings; Dual-action oscillating spray delivers a refreshing clean every time
- Step into an excellent standard of living - the heated SoftClose bidet seat ensures even heat coverage over the entire seating area; Air purifier neutralizes bathroom odors with powerful air filters; The adjustable hot air dryer allows for easy cleaning. Ambient Temperature: Range: 32°F/0°C to 104°F/40°C
- CLEAN INNOVATIONS ENSURE SAFETY - PREMIST helps prevent dirt settling by using the incoming water supply to mist the toilet bowl before each use; The self-cleaning wand automatically cleans the inside and outside before and after each use
- Enjoy your uniqueness – users can control and define personal water treatment settings via the practical side panel. Offers luxury and cleanliness at your fingertips.
- EXPERIENCE EXCELLENCE DAILY - 50 million WASHLET users agree that TOTO electric bidet toilet seats are dependable, dependable, and feature quality design for long-lasting benefits. Easy DIY installation; First class customer service
3. Toshiba Hot Water Flush Toilet Seat - Easiest to use
Toshiba is a world-leading Japanese technology brand that manufactures a large number of high-tech household items. So you know you're in safe hands when you buy a Toshiba product. It can be installed in any bathroom anywhere in the world (although in some cases you'll want to make sure you have the right size plugs and hoses).
This toilet comes highly recommended for its affordability and very high quality. In addition, the seat can be heated in seconds to instantly make your toilet more luxurious.
This toilet has a dual jet feature, so you can change the pressure for different flushes based on personal preference. It has so many different settings that you can enjoy a new feature every time you use it!
- Temperature control
- Automatic deodorizer
- Spray pattern control that can be varied as desired
- The seat heating can be activated within six seconds
- Not the most stylish option
- Does not have a drying after washing function
4. Toto Neorest - The most luxurious
Many people have often referred to the famous Toto Neorest as the master of Japanese technology and engineering. This toilet is so good that it has often been compared to a Ferrari or a Lamborghini.
The manufacturers of this toilet have really thought of everything. It really is a unique experience and a restroom that I would use on my return trip to Japan alone.
It has so many features but still maintains a sleek and elegant design.
Toto Neorest really is the crème de la crème of Japanese toilets. Say goodbye to the discussions about cleaning your bathroom and look forward to spending hours enjoying the functions of this toilet. Once you've experienced this state-of-the-art toilet, you'll never want to experience a toilet again!
- A sensory lid, meaning the toilet is hands-free
- Automatic flush function
- Instant bowl cleaning for instant hygiene
- Front and rear heating, water washing function that allows you to choose the temperature and pressure of the water for your comfort
- All of these functions are controlled via a simple, user-friendly remote control
- More expensive than other models
- can be noisy
- Water Use: 1.0 gallons per flush
- Cyclonic Siphon Jet Flushing System, Ultra High Efficiency (1.0 GPF/3.8 LPF and 0.8 GPF/3.0 LPF)
- Practical remote control
- Hands-free automatic flushing
- Seat heating with temperature control
Overall best toilet
It's 2020, the year of Japanese innovation and the end of unsustainable and unrelenting global toilet paper consumption.
Our recommended toilet upgrade isToto S350E Laundrybecause of its affordability, elegant style and comfort.
You'll also save money since you're likely to use less water and toilet paper. The self-cleaning function saves time and provides a more hygienic and comfortable bathroom experience.
You never thought you would need this toilet, but once you start using it, you will never choose to install a regular toilet again.
The defining feature of a Japanese toilet is its bidet, AKA a nozzle that sends water onto a user's nether regions for cleaning purposes.Are Japanese toilets worth it? ›
Generally, Japanese toilets are the most hygienic option for your bathroom. Japanese toilets often use a special non-stick coating that helps to prevent stains and debris. Their bowls are also usually rimless, making it difficult for germs to hide.Do you need to use toilet paper with a Japanese toilet? ›
France, Portugal, Italy, Japan, Argentina, Venezuela, and Spain: Instead of toilet paper, people from these countries (most of them from Europe) usually have a bidet in their washrooms. A bidet like a toilet, but also includes a spout that streams water like a water fountain to rinse you clean.What is a high tech Japanese toilet? ›
A Japanese toilet or smart toilet, as it's often referred to, is a toilet built with smart technology. Put simply, this means smart toilets can interact with their user via remote control access. With a press of the button, you can flush, spray and dry. As the name suggests, Japanese toilets originated in Japan.